Wednesday 4 February 2009

The Work Begins!

Today I had my dentist appointment. This time i was not so calm. I was terrified. I knew the work was beginning today but apart from that I had no idea what to expect. For some strange reason it was my face being numb that was causing me the most stress. I know why though, its about control isn't it, it always is. If i didn't like the numbness, I wouldn't be able to make it go away.... I would be stuck.

Never slept a wink. Got up early and my head was running through excuses why not to go. I tried to talk myself round, it wasn't really working. Again I hoped my friend wouldn't turn up, she did! My appointment was at 12.15 so as the time approached I left. I decided to break the appointment into steps. Firstly I would just get outside, and see how I felt. Then I would speak to the receptionist, and see how i felt. All the while I was ready to bolt. First sign of a panic attack and I was planning on jumping in the car an breaking the speed limit till I was back home. Gerry spoke to me before I left and said 'You can't spend your life running home'. With this in my mind I knew I had to do it.

Got there, spoke to receptionist and before I knew it i was giving my injection...S! Several! I was told to go back to the waiting room to let the numbness take over. I sat in the waiting room on my own and i was physically shaking at this point. I really wanted to leave. Didn't care what they said about it. But i stayed and waited...and waited...and waited!!! I think i was there for half an hour with my mind running riot. I decided when I went back in I would explain my nerves and ask the dentist if i could possibly just have one thing done.

Finally I was called and i explained my situation. I was basically told no, and the work began. I think it must have taken another half an hour in the chair, i had been hoping for 5 minutes. NO such luck. Finally I left and went home. The result.... the left side of my mouth now had SIX, YES SIX LESS TEETH and I had 4 fillings!

The procedure itself was fine. It was totally pain free and as my time in the chair passed I got more and more calm. Next appointment is in 2 weeks time to do the right side of my mouth and then finally the front, the front being the ones i want done soonest.

I am EXTREMELY proud today. I know many agoraphobics manage to visit the dentist but it was just never an option for me. Again i feel totally shocked that I managed it and now i just want my next appointment to hurry up because I am sooo looking forward to having all my teeth fixed.

The numbness has now gone and I plan a relaxing night in bed. I feel like I have been through the wars haha. I was told to expect some discomfort and I have that, but thankfully I have no real pain so far. I am so happy!!!

13 comments:

Me said...

That's great - well done! I'm really pleased you managed to make your way through it. I've got to go next Friday - just for a check-up, but I think I'll need some work done after that. I'm dreading it!

Hope your next appointment goes well - you know you *can* manage it now, even though you may still find it hard. It'll be worth it though, to get your teeth sorted out :)

Take care x

Lynn said...

If i can brave it and go to the dentist i think anyone can. I was honestly terrified but it was painless and i feel total relief that i went. Although im sure u have more experience with them than i have. After all it was 10 years since id been lol

Kate said...

I'm really proud of you, you are doing so well! :-) xx

Sarah♥ said...

You had six extractions without being sedated? That is amazing! WELL DONE :)

Lynn said...

I know. Six is a lot isnt it. Anyone i have told has been in shock and are also suprised im not doped up on pain killers but its really not too bad. Hoping it stays that way. touch wood

Robert said...

You're a star!

Soooooooo pleased for you!

Bookworm said...

That's awesome! Congratulations on your achievement! Next time will go even better...I can feel it! xo

Jason said...

Nice Lynn! If you can do that, there's really very little that you can't do. Smart move breaking it up into smaller steps.

BTW, I did have some discomfort the day after some of my dental work, but ibuprofen seemed to do the trick.

Dr. President said...

congratulations! I know it wasn't easy, but you did it! Feel proud of your accomplishments, treat yourself to something nice! And you said something that I discovered also, and that is you have to break the trip down in increments, to see how you feel each part of the way. Very proud of you, you did good!

Kaci said...

Wow congrats on being able to sit through it! I know that the dentist is one of my huge problems and I have not been in awhile now. That's great that you are making such progress :)

Sarah♥ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
diver said...

Wow, that was very impressive Lynn. I once had four done in a session ... but SIX out plus four fillings ... and you wrap it with an 'it's cool' post ... awesome! Is this some sort of natural 'Braveheart' Scot thing ?

Lynn said...

Ha Ha Diver! To be honest i thought it was normal untill I seen peoples reactions when i got it done. Its not about being brave... it was about having no choice cose she just kind of got on with it so fast i didnt have time to object lol