Friday 6 February 2009

Book Recommendations


I am an avid reader and find reading a good book is a great way of relaxing and winding down at the end of the day. I have just bought the above book 'We need to talk about Kevin' and although I have been advised that it is pretty graphic, that's ok with me. I like all sorts of books, chick lit, thrillers, mysteries, autobiographies, educational but usually I only buy a book if it has been recommended. 'We need to talk about Kevin' was discussed on TV and I also noticed it had won an award.
I am a fast reader and very quickly I have gotten through all the books I bought a few months ago... all which were recommended. So I am looking for your help. Can you think of a book that you read that was a real page turner. One that totally grabbed your attention and you just loved to read? Or what about one that shocked you, scared you, made you feel really good or was full of twists. Let me know your suggestions and I will get online and get them ordered.
I am trying to think of books i could recommend but my mind is blank at the moment. I know Dan Browns' The Da Vinci Code' had so much hype but i did really enjoy this although I know some people werent too keen. I like Cecelia Ahearn and her book 'If you could see me now' was just so lovely and almost like a fairytale. Paolo Cohelo 'Veronika Decides to die' and 'The Alchamist' are 2 of my favourties. Reg McKay 'Armed Candy' was a great true story of crime set in Glasgow. Slave by Mende Nazer, another true story which will shock and sadden and i just loved 'The curious incident of the dog in the nighttime' by Mark Haddon about a young boy with autism. You should check them out on Amazon.
I look forward to your suggestions.

10 comments:

Robert said...

If you want graphic content and controversial material, read "The End of Alice" by A M Homes (female writer). This book was banned from W H Smith's shops, and some have called it vile & perverted. Others have called it a masterpiece.

If you want a really good, easy read, try "Fried Green Tomatoes
At The Whistle Stop Cafe" by Fannie Flagg. It's been out for quite a while, but I don't know anyone who has read it that didn't really like it.

Lynn said...

Oh yeh i have seen the movie but the book is always better. Thanks Robert ill check them out on amazon right now x

Me said...

I really enjoyed 'The End of Alice' - found a copy in a charity shop a few years ago.

Other books you may like include 'Lucky' (rather harrowing though in places), and 'The Lovely Bones' both by Alice Seabold. Generally anything by Jodi Picoult is worth reading, especially 'My Sister's Keeper'. I'd also recommend the one I'm currently reading - Simon Ings' 'The Weight of Numbers'.

I also bought two books in a charity shop a few days ago - haven't read either yet but both look good. One is by A M Homes again - 'The Mistress's Daughter' - and is a biography of her life. The other is by Diana Evans (someone I don't think I've read before) and is called '26a'.

I could talk books for hours :) I have so many to bring back with me from Kent - I've limited myself to just 3 bookcases full now. I used to have thousands but had to give a lot to charity before I moved last time - my ex is a record collector so we used to do a lot of bootfairs and charity shops - I'd hunt for books while he looked for rare records. I like having a stack of unread books nearby so that I know I have something I'll enjoy when I want it x

Rachael said...

If you like thrillers and crime stories i would defiantly recomend the Lincoln Rhyme series by Jeffery Deaver which starts with The Bone Collector and also his short stories, they are brilliant.

I think i might get that book 'We Need To Talk Sbout Kevin' i saw it in waterstones and it looked pretty good.

I dont know if your a fan of Alan Carr but i recently read his autobiography and i was laughing out loud in some places, its so funny, so i would reccommend that if you like him.

Antother book i would recommend is 'Stuart - A Life Backwards' by Alexander Masters. I got that after seeing the tv programme based on it and its a brilliant book.

Lynn said...

Thanks guys thats a good help. I have already read 'The Lovely Bones' and Alan Carrs autobiography, I really enjoyed them both. I have now ordered 'The End of Alice', one called 'Jack' by the same author and also 'The Mistresses Daughter' Anymore suggestions welcome... Oh and my mum read 'My sisters keeper' She raved about it then gave it to a friend so ill get that back soon x

Rachael said...

Just wanted to say i got We Need To Talk About Kevin today, im only on page 36 but im already gripped.

Im going to order The End of Alice tommorrow, and after reading many reviews of it on the web i think i'm prepared for it. I like morbid things anyway.

Lynn said...

lol Rachel. I am about 100 pages in. Kevin sounds like a right little ****. Im glad u got it. Let me know what u think of it when your done.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lynn!
Congrat on your blog, I am also an agoraphobic and love to read your blogs (also downloading and promise to upload some in return!)
Anyway, I recently read "The Boy In The Stipped Pyjamas", it's written for teenagers (I borrowed it from a friend's teenage son). It's written so beautifully and innocently - definitely worth a read :)
Also, for any chick lit stuff I recommend Sophie Kinsella's "Shopaholic" series, apparently they are makeing the first one into a movie!

Dr. President said...

I'm reading "Town House" by Tish Cohen, it's about an agoraphobe (like me) who's living in a nice townhouse off of his rock-legend daddy's money, but then one day the money runs out and all hell breaks loose.

Lynn said...

Hey funny that you mention the boy in the striped pajamas, i just bought that for a friend. She had wanted to read it so i picked up a cheap copy on amazon, that has also been made into a movie. I have tried the shoppaholic books and they are good if you want a nice story where your not required to 'think' too much. President i am buying the Town House right now ha. The mother in 'We need to talk about Kevin' is also agoraphobic, the first one i have come across in a book