I have had a lot of emails recently from people who have been reading this blog. The most common question i am asked is about the symptoms of a panic attack or about my negative thoughts.
People seem to be worried by the thoughts in their head and want to know if they are alone or if i have experienced the same problems. I'm going to write a very honest list of everything regarding both what anxiety and panic attacks to do my body and also the thoughts i have had and again i am doing this to show that no one is alone....believe me i have been there and so have thousands of others.
Panic Attacks ( What i feel DURING an attack)
- Heart Pounding
- Churning Stomach
- Utter terror!!
- Derealization (feelings of unreality) or depersonalization (feeling detached)
- I may think i am dying
- I may think i am having a heart attack
- I can't breathe
- I may think i am going to pass out
- I fear i will lose control and completely freak out
- When at home i don't want to leave the room when im panicking
- When i'm out i can't get home quickly enough but worry, 'what if i don't make it'
When i am not having an attack but am feeling anxious this can affect me in many ways. I have both negative thoughts and physical symptoms caused by stress. I am going to write a list of both of these, this could be a long list haha
- Fear of not being able to breathe
- The feeling that i can't get a full breath
- Difficulty swallowing
- Sweaty hands & Feet (attractive)
- Churning Stomach
- Numbness in my fingers (Pins & Needles)
- Not wanting to face anyone, switching off phone etc
- Lose patience easily, very irritable
- Always going to the bathroom (I thought this was just me, didnt know it can be anxiety)
- Very Edgy, can jump at the slightest thing
- Avoidance (either avoiding people or avoiding situations i.e making phone calls, going out)
- Become preoccupied with, or obssess about one thing
- Always imagining the worst outcome
- The weather affecting my mood
- When summer is ending and its getting dark earlier i feel anxious
- Fear of never getting better
- Fearing a panic attack everyday 'Do i feel ok, will i panic today'
- The feeling of not even wanting to leave my bedroom
- Loss Of Appetite (some people may be the opposite and eat more than usual)
- Completely messed up sleep patteren
- Light Headedness
- No Motivation, very lethargic
- The fear of a heart attack due to a tightness in my chest (caused by stress)
Ok i will leave it there for now haha. I'm sure there are more but it's first thing in the morning and my brain isn't functioning yet. I know that people who haven't experienced anxiety will look at that list and think... 'Wow this girl is crazy', but i know i am not. The things above don't worry me because i am used to them now. They come and go, I have good days and bad days, but i seem to know how to cope now no matter how unpleasant it is....and it is VERY unpleasant.
Our mind's really are our own worst enemies, and we fuel our panic by living in fear of 'What If's'. I think all we can do is recognise that we are not going crazy! We are just anxious, and the things above are caused by that anxiety.
Like i said i am sure there are many more things i could have added to the list so please don't worry if something you suffer with isn't up there. The chances are i've just forgotten to add it. But if anyone wants to ask me anything then feel free to email me. I have had such positive feedback from this blog and i want to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has gotten in touch. It's great to hear from you all xxx